Saturday, September 20, 2008

Cycling and Politics?

It's been a weekend of cycling and politics. Let me tell you that a Philly apartment full of cyclists and political interns and such leads to highly interesting conversations. Cyclists generally talk about...well...cycling. We talk about our races, our bikes, the beer we drink after we bike, etc. etc. Political interns and such talk about...politics. The funny thing about some of them is that they are always "on." They are so used to promoting one politician or another, that even when they have a beer in hand, and two down, they still tend to try to catch your vote. Which, again, leads to very interesting conversations somewhere akin to this one:

Perky Political Intern: "Congressman so-and-so is the only multi-racial, former basketball player, semi-pro cross-stitcher sitting in a congressional seat."

Cynical Cyclist: "Does he ride a bike?"

PPI: "I'm not sure, but I could text him on my Blackberry to find out!"

CC: "But, does he ride a bike?"

PPI: blank stare

CC: "How many beers to I have to feed you before you will make out with me in that corner over there?"

PPI: "Did I mention that Congressman so-and-so is the only multi-racial, former basketball player, semi-pro cross-stitcher sitting in a congressional seat?"

CC: "Oh, crap."

Small disclaimer: This is not a dictation of a real conversation overheard at Tyler's house. Any and all likenesses to those who actually attended the party last night are purely coincidental.

No comments: