Friday, February 01, 2008

At an End...

The week is at an end. And, it's ending on a very sloppy note! Today is chilly and rainy - YUCK! I don't mind rain in the spring and summer, when part of you desire taking a long walk in it just to enjoy the feeling of warm rain, but cold rain is another story entirely. I don't think that I would make a very good Pacific Northwesterner - although the incredible landscape is a strong draw!

Yesterday was great! I got out on the road with Luly and Leah for some incline repeats. We had a nice time and enjoyed trying out some different tactics on the hill and pushing one another to attack the incline each time we went up. I'm looking to do some more hill work on Sunday, since it will be a beautiful day and I can't make the club ride tomorrow.

Tomorrow is Uncle Matt's funeral. Funerals are so strange, I think. They're sad, by nature. Yet, they are a chance to spend time with family and friends that you tend to neglect due to life. And, you feel the love and kindness of so many people in one day. So, in some ways, they're kind of uplifting.

My grandfather's funeral was an amazing spectacle. Unfortunately, I have been to MANY funerals in my time. But his...it was the most incredible celebration of a long and inspirational life. The church ceremony was held in a large cathedral in Cincinnati where my mom and dad were married. It was FULL of people. And, I mean FULL. There were people in every pew, standing in the aisles, and even up in the choir. It AMAZED me that so many people were there to say goodbye to a man that I knew only as my grandpa. That he had managed to touch the lives of all of these people in some way was truly moving and powerful. I hope that I can touch lives like he did.

But, I digress...Sunday is SuperBowl Sunday and Museum Day (my very own holiday). I'll be taking my class to the Museum and then (I hope) hopping on the bike for a few more hill repeats. I'm going to CRUSH those hills this year! :) Then, it's off to the Mother-In-Law's house for football and birthday cake for Chuck's Grandpop. Should be an interesting weekend...is that even considered a weekend? hmmm. :)

No comments: