When I was young, I had a friend. A Best Friend. And then, one day, she just wasn't. My best friend, I mean. To this day, I can't really understand what happened to our friendship. It just suddenly ceased to exist. There were times when I tried to rekindle the connection that we had, but it just never happened. It was over.
Last night I had a strange, strange dream! I was walking along, on my way to the library at Temple. I reached in my bag to pull out my ID and realized that it wasn't my ID in there. Instead, the ID held the countenance of my friend of all those years ago. In addition, there was text scrawled all over the ID. It started, "To my EX-Best Friend," (ouch) It then continued on to tell me in politely scathing terms that "if you ever try to look me up again, I swear I'll..." Most of it is lost to the foggy realities of waking up, but I remember the card being covered with phrases that sounded friendly at first, but on closer inspection, were cruel reminders of a friendship gone wrong. I also remember that, again, I woke up not knowing WHY we were no longer friends.
Friends come and go...this is a fact of life. Sometimes, this happens purely by accident or circumstance. I dearly miss my friend Molly, but I live on the East Coast, she lives in Canada - it's hard to see one another, hard to make international phone calls, and sometimes just hard to keep up. But, we've lost touch out of these issues, not because of some great conflagration of words.
Then there's the friends that you lose and you don't know why. I haven't thought of this dream person in years, and yet, here she is...in my dream as clear as day...dredging up this question of why? I know that I will never know why she and I are no longer friends. I imagine that in her mind, the fault lay with me. The fact is, if I saw her tomorrow, I would be truly happy to see her and happy to hear about her life. I wonder if she could say the same?
No comments:
Post a Comment