Friday, February 08, 2008

A Nice Surprise

As I was leaving school today, I had the pleasure of encountering a very nice surprise, although it started out with a bit of a scare.

I headed out from my office for my 2 1/2 block walk to the train station. I had my headphones on and was jamming to some rockin' 80s tunes. I got to the intersection of 16th street and waited for my light to turn green. It changed and with a pack of pedestrians, I began to cross the street. Just as I was halfway across, this woman in a maroon Mercedes (you know who you are :) ) came barreling towards the line and slams on the breaks in time to avoid hitting said pack of pedestrians and yours truly! Obviously, I notice this car coming at me and quickly stop walking. She does end up stopping, although well into the crosswalk, and all of the foot-traffic continues across the street. (This was the scary part)

As I continue walking, this young man next to me asks if I am OK.

I say , "Yes, thank you! I was really not sure if she was going to stop...it was a bit of a scare."

We then continue to walk together to the train station, chatting about living in the city and the things that you learn as you grow and mature in that environment - he made a joke about how, as a kid, he would have just strolled in front of that car with the belief that she WOULD stop, not the hope that she might!

The last two blocks of my walk to the station were filled with a wonderful conversation with this gentleman, who went North when I went South. I hope that the rest of his day went well and I wish that he knew that he really made my day today with his genuine concern and congenial company.

No comments: