We got pummeled last night. With snow. At least, pummeled for this area - if I were home in Michigan, we'd call it a light dusting! ;) What's funny out here is the fact that all you hear on the radio is how we knew this was coming and so the crews were out "all night" working on clearing and salting the streets. Yet, somehow...the roads are still a disastrous mess. They are covered in slick snow and slush and extremely dangerous (even by Michigan standards!).
Much to my surprise, Chuck had school this morning. Not sure how that worked out, but I must say, considering our drive in, I'm pretty glad that he did have to go to work.
About a half a mile from our house, we have a 90+ degree right turn to make. Just as Chuck finishes the turn and starts to straighten out the wheel, the car decides that it likes the look of the guard-rail and begins heading straight for it! Keep in mind, this is only a two lane road with virtually NO shoulder.
I swear to you, if I had been driving, our car would currently be pinned up against a guardrail in New Jersey. SOMEHOW, Chuck manages to miss the rail by a few inches - and I am NOT exaggerating here. I was pre-emptively hearing the sound of the crunch of our front wheelwell just before the car sidled up to the side of the railing and stopped. I guess those defensive driving lessons he took when he thought he was going to be a cop paid off.
So, despite the near collision, we managed to both make it to school safe and in one, undented piece. I only hope that the ride home is less exciting! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment