The great hunter, Jake took down his first victim this morning! I'm rather saddened by the whole event, but his father is soooo proud!See, Chuck loves to let the kids out on the back porch. They're really a bunch of chickens (except for Cuey - she has NO FEAR!) so they mostly sit around and bask in the sun and occasionally chase a bug or two. Until today, they had been unsuccessful even at that.
I let Jake out this morning while I read the paper, drank some coffee, and watered the new plants in the garden. I had noticed that he was intently spying along the fenceline, but this usually means he's planning an attack on a grasshopper. Anyway...a few seconds later, I hear this awful chirping sound and see a flash of movement from him and his unfortunate prey. Now, it wasn't a bird chirping, but a small, grey shrew.

I got Jake away as quickly as I could and the little guy shuffled himself partially into the leaves along the fence. I took Jake inside and came out a few minutes later in the hopes that the little dude had survived.
Unfortunately, he is now buried under the tree in the backyard, and Jake has been triumphantly strutting around the basement ever since.
No comments:
Post a Comment