Race: The Comeback Crit
Distance: 17 miles (23 laps of a .7 mile course)
Weather: Hot, Hot, Hot!!!
Number in Field: 18 registered, 17 on the start line
Number of Sturdies: 4 (Sarah, Jody, Jen Sands, Doreen)
Course: Great course for us. Beautifully smooth road surface, nice wide turns, and a little tiny bump up to the finish. We knew at the start that it was going to be a fast and furious race.
The Race: The field was STACKED for this race. Nonnie Howard, Kristy Swope, Betty Tyrell, Lorainne Lipfert, Jackie Paull, and a mysterious Aussie Track/Road racer named Davina Summers rounded out the big contenders. As expected Nonnie and Davina took turns launching small attacks for the majority of the race. None of these were really intended to go off the front, just to shred up our legs a little. Thankfully, my legs were feeling good and I simply went along with these attacks and the responses.
My main goal today was to stay in a good position within the field and to try to get a podium spot. The field position became easier as the field shrunk under the pressure from Nonnie and Davina. The podium spot and category win looked to be in trouble when Betty launched an attack halfway into the race. The group let her go off the front...not a good idea. She stayed out for two laps or so until our Aussie jumped and bridged up to her. I began urging the other girls to chase (not at all content to race for 3rd place). Nonnie says to me, "Can you take a pull?" I said, "Absolutely." She says, "Well, do it." I pull up to the front of the group and start to charge. Within a half of a lap, I have caught up to Davina and Betty. I look behind me and the field is gone! Kristy joined us a few seconds later and it was the four of us off the front to the finish. Lining up for the sprint, the Aussie took off like she had rockets on her butt. Kristy and I followed, but I was unable to get around her at the finish! I did beat Betty...taking 1st in the Cat 3, and 3rd overall!
Jody finished 1st in the Cat 4 field, with Sands and Doreen close behind in 3rd and 4th.It was a great day for Sturdy Girl! The pink really rocked it!
I am now 5 points away from upgrading to Cat 2. This has been a secret goal of mine all year - one that I wanted but wasn't sure I was ready for. I now REALLY want and know that I am ready for it! :) Thanks to my team, my coach, and my cycling buddies that make racing so much fun and make me faster every time I train with them!
No comments:
Post a Comment