So, I was up early today...5:30am to be exact. The time trial was set to start at 8am, and I wanted to make sure that my legs were good and warmed up for this thing, because it was going to HURT!
The preview told me that it was a course I could do and be pretty decent at. Most of the little bumps were power climbs that just needed a slight out of the saddle push and were over in a second or two. Stepping up to the start line, I was excited and ready to face the climb. I made one mistake...trying to take the first little bump in my big ring. I definitely lost a few seconds there, but I think I managed to make it up later in the race.
I knew exactly when it was going to get tough and set my goals on keeping my legs under me until the last 1/2 mile, which was the big part of the climb. For that section, I just put it in a gear that was tough but not a grinder, and went for it. I crossed the line with a time of 17:15, which I knew was good compared to times from last year. Apparently, it was very good. I ended up 1st in the Time Trial - my first win as a Cat 3! In a Time Trial! An UPHILL Time Trial! Liz, I hope you're proud!
Of the nearly 40 female riders that did the TT, there were three times faster than mine. Kristy Swope was one of them - she won the 30+, and the top two Cat 4s were under 17 minutes. DAMN FAST! Still...I won my race! :) Hooray!
We finished up and it was on to the crit! I knew that it was going to be a tough field for the crit, and it was. There were a few girls that were not in the GC (hadn't done the TT) in the mix as well. It was a short loop (.5 miles) that was essentially simple. 4 corners, pretty wide and not too technical. There were a TON of premes - including one for GC points. I ended up 3rd on that one, snagging myself 3 more GC points.
It was over pretty quickly. It wasn't a particularly fast crit, but I was determined to sit in and try to take a good place. I ended up 4th overall. The girl who took 3rd was not in the GC, so I'm not sure how that works for points...I have to find out. Anyway...at the end of the day, it looks like I am either 1st or tied for 1st in the GC with Stacey Jensen! And I should note that Stacey is REALLY good and a REALLY fast sprinter. I'd love to take the GC tomorrow - but that is NO easy task with her behind me or with me in points.
Tomorrow is the road race. I know what I have to do. Now, I just have to do it!
Lenore rode very well today, also! She finished 5th in the TT and 3rd in the Crit in a breakaway of 4 riders. She took a few premes along the way as well, scoring some really nice $13 lube! :)
4 comments:
Nice Job! I would have liked to have come to this to shoot some pics, but I'm doing the Junior Race thing this weekend instead ;-) Good luck tomorrow!
Thanks, Anthony. Lucky for us, they did have a photographer on site, so I hope she got some rockin' shots!!!
I'll let you know when the pics are up on the website....
Hi Blake! I was going to email you guys to say THANKS! That was a GREAT race you put on up there...I am already fully planning to be back next year, with a whole gaggle of pink jerseys! :)
Post a Comment