Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Perfect Outlet...Bad Wiring!

The last 48 hours have been pretty difficult on this Internet addicted young lass. See...I came home from a pretty tough race on Sunday to find my DSL light blinking on my modem. Not a good sign. It has done this on occasion, but usually corrects itself within a few minutes. When a few hours had gone by, I began to feel the effects of withdrawal. And, let me tell you, they are not pleasant! So, I called up out provider. They decided that they needed to send someone out to the house. OK...I figured it was going to take a few days to get an appointment. To my surprise, they told me that someone would be out the very next day. WOW. When I asked the time frame, I got the first kick to the groin - "Well..." they said, "The technician should be there between 8am and 5pm."

Yes, folks...8 and 5!

But, I was desperate..."OK...I'll be here."

And I was. From 8am until 5pm, I sat patiently around my house waiting for them to show. By noon, I was bored. By 2:00, I was playing cards with myself to pass the time. By 3:30, I was pretty sure they weren't coming. And by 5pm, I was just downright pissed off. They never showed. So, I called. The response?

"Well, our techs sometimes work until 7pm."

"But I was told 8 to 5. What do I do now?"

"Well, you'll have to wait until 7."

"What if they don't come?"

"Oh, they'll come. I've NEVER KNOWN OUR TECHS NOT TO SHOW UP."

Guess what? That's right...they never came.

After much screaming and yelling on the phone, we were assured that we were listed as a priority and that someone would be out to fix the problem by 9am the next day. 9am came and went...as did 11:00 and noon. I finally went into a fit on the phone with some moron supervisor who "guaranteed" me that someone would be out "after lunch." Needless to say, at 12:45, I left my house to burn off some steam on the bike.

I returned at 2:15 to a house that still had not been visited by a tech. I figured...ok, time to switch providers. I took a shower, and ten minutes later, they show. Nearly 4 HOURS later, the problem is fixed. Turns out that it was a doozy. The tech told me that there shouldn't be a fee, but that they might charge us. Ha...please...try it. I really hope that they attempt this. We're probably still going to drop them and switch companies because they were such putzes. But, hey...at least I'm back online, Baby!

1 comment:

JB said...

It sounds like your experience could be a submission to the Consumerist.